Conference “Planning of non-motorized traffic – yesterday, today, tomorrow”
The completion of the project “Sustainable safety of non-motorized traffic in urban areas” which we implemented in cooperation with the Faculty of Transport Sciences, the Cyclists’ Union and the Swiss partner Pro Velo, was marked on November 17, 2020 by an online conference dedicated to pedestrian and bicycle safety.
The conference was attended by 70 participants – transport experts, representatives of cities, relevant ministries, institutions, faculties and associations, interested students and citizens. We were joined by students and numerous members of the CIVINET Sustainable Mobility Network from Slovenia, BiH, Macedonia and Serbia.
Some of the conclusions from the panel discussion:
- It is important to educate not only traffic participants, but also experts working in the system and decision makers
- it is necessary to use all the possibilities that are offered at the same time, but also to work on systemic changes and work on both sides at the same time.
- an interdisciplinary rather than sectoral approach is needed
- the possibility of legalizing the SUMP as a basic document for the development of a city’s transport system
- greater involvement of the public and stakeholders in the planning process is needed